From Vincent Hennebert <vincent.henneb...@enseeiht.fr>
Subject Foray's font subsystem for Fop
Date Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:20:07 GMT
Hi Fop Team and Victor,

I'm considering to adapt Foray's font subsystem to Fop. I have already
experimented a bit and the thing seems to be rather feasible. So far I have
encountered two problems:

- logging mechanism: Foray uses the avalon framework while Fop uses commons
logging. The 2 APIs are similar but I suppose I'll have to convert the avalon
stuff into commons. Or are there any plans to change the logging mechanism (I'm
thinking about the FOPAvalonization Wiki page)? Another minor problem will be to
plug the right logger to the font subsystem. I guess only one logger is created
and passed through all classes?

- the font subsystem is based on a client/server architecture; the question is:
which Fop class should be made a FontConsumer? And where should the FontServer
be created and held? So far I've used FOEventHandler as a FontConsumer and a
holder of a FontServer. It's quite convenient but I'm not sure at all that it is
good design; I'm not yet used to Fop's overall architecture.

I welcome any additional thoughts/comments. Now starting to work...

Regards,
Vincent