From Glen Mazza <gma...@apache.org>
Subject Remove LayoutManager.initialize() method?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 04:18:50 GMT
Team,

Anyone have a problem if I remove the initialize() method from the
LayoutManager interface (and assorted related code from
AbstractLayoutManager), by having the eight LM's currently using it
initialize themselves internally instead?

Currently, for those 8 LM's using external initialization (i.e.,
LM.initialize()), it is done immediately after the ParentLM is set for
the LM in AbstractLayoutManager.addChildLM().  So, at a minimum, I think
I can equivalently do this by having each class call initialize() within
an overridden setParent() implementation.  However, for most of the
eight it appears I can just call initialize() from the class'
constructor without needing a setParent() override.

This change will not prohibit specific LM's with unique requirements
from having a public initialize() method, if ever needed, it would just
require that a specific class variable be used instead of the generic
LayoutManager interface variable (i.e., for WidgetLayoutManager wlm,
call wlm.initialize() instead of LM.initialize().)

Thanks,
Glen