From The Web Maestro <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Foray's font subsystem for Fop
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:13:00 GMT
On Jun 24, 2005, at 7:33 AM, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> Sorry to insist, but what is your final decision? A quick summary of
> the thread gives:
> - Jeremias +1
> - Simon +1
> - Glen +0

- Chris +1 (attached below)

> The FOray+aXSL stuff would be used in the form of a jar file put in
> the lib directory; FOray's avalon loggers would be wrapped into a JCL
> adapter for now.
>
> So?
> Vincent

It would've been better to forward the original VOTE message (attached
at the bottom for completeness), otherwise it's a little bit stickier,
since these 'votes' are scattered amongst two threads... (which is why
I replied to the original thread...)

Anyway... +1 from me!

Regards, Web Maestro Clay

Begin forwarded message:

On Jun 17, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Simon Pepping wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:33:10AM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>> I welcome any additional thoughts/comments. Now starting to work...
>>
>> I wish you had asked before diving into this. Before FOray-Font can be
>> integrated with FOP we need to have a vote on this among the
>> committers
>> and frankly, I'm sure such a thing will cost a lot of energy. I'm not
>> going to push in that direction without any hint of support from at
>> least two other committers around here. I hope we will get more
>> opinions.
>
> I am catching up on my email, and reading this thread several days
> after the fact. I did not see a reaction to Jeremias' above request.
>
> In general I am all for sharing an implementation of a piece of
> functionality that can be accessed via an agreed interface. Font
> services are really a good candidate. I have not studied FOray-Font,
> but I follow Jeremias' judgement on this that it is better than what
> we have now. Therefore I am in favour of using FOray-Font for
> satisfying FOP's font requirements.
>
> As long as FOray-Font is released under the Apache license, I believe
> that FOP should not have a problem with it, even if FOP would not have
> any control over it, as long as the implementation satisfies us. As
> soon as it does not, the license allows us to take a snapshot of the
> sources and go our own way. That is how I understand open source and
> the Apache license. I do not quite understand why we would need a
> grant. But even if so, Victor is willing to give one.
>
> That is my stand point. If this were a vote, my vote would be +1.
>
> Regards, Simon
>
> --
> Simon Pepping
> home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl