From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: AFP Renderer
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:18:43 GMT
Glen Mazza wrote:

> My primary goal is not to "get this committed."  But
> if you have code you wish to donate to the ASF, just
> do so via Bugzilla.  It doesn't matter which
> format--it is the logic in the code that is being
> sought.  No guarantees, however, as to it ever getting
> committed into FOP, because we don't have significant
> demand for it, and as Jeremias said, there is a time
> factor involved with maintaining renderers.  There is
> also the issue of the damage done to the FOP's
> reputation as a whole should it ship with renderers
> that operate only partially or incorrectly.

Well, FOP already has renderers in this state: PCL and Text.

I believe Demand for AFP is there. We certainly have customers who want it.
And the fact so many people have written their own AFP Renderers in house
confirms this.

> Today is the first I've ever heard of AFP, and I've
> been on the project for eighteen months, so it has to
> be given lower priority compared to the other output
> types that we *do* get demand for--PDF, PS, PCL, and
> AWT.  And so we'll need to hear substantive demand
> from the user community first--else it should remain
> external (perhaps added to our resource page, as we
> currently do in such cases) to the project.

Well the external AFP Renderer on the Resources page, just isnt very
practical. Even if we never get round to committing Pete's AFP Renderer, at
least if it is available as a Patch in bugzilla, its a better starting point
than the external one by Hansuli Anderegg.

Chris