From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: AFP Renderer
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:03:53 GMT
Hehe, and then there was the one by UBS which I asked them to make OSS
and they declined even after killing the project.

I don't think there's a big legal problem around AFP, it's probably more
the technology itself that has the attribute "may cost a bit more" on it.
:-) While it would be great to have an AFP renderer we also have to see
how to support it. Pete seems to imply a code dump ("Once I move on to
the next project it is unlikely to happen.") so a little warning sign
may be asked for. How many of us understand AFP? I don't. Yet. ;)

On 09.08.2004 14:35:08 Glen Mazza wrote:
> There are already other AFP Renderers for FOP
> 0.20.5--actually Hansuli has it in our resources page:
>
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/resources.html
>
> And--amazing what Google searches turn up--Keiron also
> created one for FOP apparently:
>
> http://www.aftexsw.com/personal/resume.html
>
> But if you wish to donate code to the ASF, you are
> welcome to submit it as a patch--in either 0.20.5 or
> 1.0 format.  (I caution though that the 1.0 rendering
> system architecturally is not finalized.)  We can
> possibly leverage it along with the others in the
> future.
>
> The fact that we don't have native support for it
> already, however, could mean that there were licensing
> issues involved with its inclusion (or the fonts it
> uses, perhaps).  This may be an IBM-only technology
> for which you must use IBM-only products--I don't
> know.

Jeremias Maerki