From Glen Mazza <grm7...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: AFP Renderer
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:55:01 GMT
My primary goal is not to "get this committed."  But
if you have code you wish to donate to the ASF, just
do so via Bugzilla.  It doesn't matter which
format--it is the logic in the code that is being
sought.  No guarantees, however, as to it ever getting
committed into FOP, because we don't have significant
demand for it, and as Jeremias said, there is a time
factor involved with maintaining renderers.  There is
also the issue of the damage done to the FOP's
reputation as a whole should it ship with renderers
that operate only partially or incorrectly.

Today is the first I've ever heard of AFP, and I've
been on the project for eighteen months, so it has to
be given lower priority compared to the other output
types that we *do* get demand for--PDF, PS, PCL, and
AWT.  And so we'll need to hear substantive demand
from the user community first--else it should remain
external (perhaps added to our resource page, as we
currently do in such cases) to the project.

Thanks,
Glen