From Glen Mazza <grm7...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Switch from AddLMVisitor to FObj.addLayoutManager()
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:31:59 GMT
Well, the number of patches and enhancements made to
layout/rendering has only been about 2-3 per month in
the 12 months that we've had AddLMVisitor.  FOP won't
finish at that rate, and that *will* affect the users.

In the 24 months preceding that change (i.e., the
original design I'm recommending we return to), I
believe it was several times higher, perhaps an
average of 25 changes per month.  Also, the developers
at that time seemed to obtain a much higher grokkage
of the layout/rendering code base.

Nice things happen when you drop the IQ needed to work
in the code--and simplifications have a habit of
begetting more simplifications, as relationships that
were previously obscured/unknown become clearer.[1]

In other words, I may be able to propose even more
simplifications after this on things I currently can't
see with the code as it is.  Let's try to get this
system down to something that a 12 year old can finish
in a weekend.  (I believe Victor has one he can lend
us as a guinea pig.)

At any rate, given that most FO's generate and/or
return areas (per the Rec), I don't have a problem
with one selecting and initializing its own
LayoutManager.  That is basically what happens anyway,
even with the middle man in between.

Glen

[1]
http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules/refactor.html