From "Townsend, Pete" <pete.towns...@landg.com>
Subject RE: AFP Renderer
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:12:16 GMT
I'll migrate the code so that it works with latest from head. Sorry for the
confusion, I wasn't implying a "code dump", the situation is that I am the
person putting pressure on the company to release the code and I need to get
it into the public domain before I move onto my next internal project.
Having said that I am keen to get involved in supporting xml-fop and am
happy to do this in my own time assisting in the support of the AFP
renderer.

There are various tools that can view AFP/MODCA data streams so a mainframe
is not required to support it!! There is a good viewer available at
http://www.barrsystems.com/product/afpviewer/default.asp

Regards, Pete.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Bowditch [mailto:bowditch_chris@hotmail.com]
Sent: 10 August 2004 09:12
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: AFP Renderer

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Hehe, and then there was the one by UBS which I asked them to make OSS
> and they declined even after killing the project.
>
> I don't think there's a big legal problem around AFP, it's probably more
> the technology itself that has the attribute "may cost a bit more" on it.
> :-) While it would be great to have an AFP renderer we also have to see
> how to support it. Pete seems to imply a code dump ("Once I move on to
> the next project it is unlikely to happen.") so a little warning sign
> may be asked for. How many of us understand AFP? I don't. Yet. ;)

I wouldnt go as far as saying I understand AFP, but I have worked on a AFP
Parser before, and I feel I understand it as well as PDF, i.e. if I dont
know
what a command does I just look it up in the appropriate reference manual.

Chris

This e-mail (and any attachments) may contain privileged and/or confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient please do not disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate
or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error please reply
and tell us and then delete it. Should you wish to communicate with us by e-mail we cannot
guarantee the security of any data outside our own computer systems. For the protection of
Legal & General's systems and staff, incoming emails will be automatically scanned.

Any information contained in this message may be subject to applicable terms and conditions
and must not be construed as giving investment advice within or outside the United Kingdom.

Legal & General Group PLC, Temple Court, 11 Queen Victoria Street, London, EC4N 4TP.
Registered in England no: 1417162

Legal & General Group Plc is a holding company, subsidiary undertakings of which are fully
authorised as appropriate under the Financial Services and Markets Act in respect of their
investment activities in the UK.