From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove ant.jar and build.bat/sh
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:42:53 GMT
I don't think ant should be removed from the maintenance branch.
Granted, users of HEAD should be adept enough to install and configure
ANT, but I think it is more important to make at least the
"maintenance" branch of FOP easy to use, than it is to encourage them
to install and configure ant. Right now, all you need to run FOP is
Java 1.2+. Saddling users with more requirements probably won't
"encourage" new users.

One of the great things I love about fop-0.20.5, is that it includes
everything I need to run it (xalan, xerces, etc.). It even includes a
xalan.bat script (not included with xalan), which one of my colleagues
used to transform an XML file with XSL.

I believe that one of the goals for FOP is to get more fop-users (even
if they're not going to be fop-devs).

Web Maestro Clay

p.s. I guess this means I get to add ant to my list of tools in my
toolbox... :-)