From "Peter B. West" <pbw...@powerup.com.au>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove ant.jar and build.bat/sh
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:59:00 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Hmhm. The unix version (build.sh) added *all* jars in the
> lib directory to the classpath, which made the "drop into
> lib and call build.dh" much easier. If this has to be done
> in build.xml, there's trouble ahead with jars containing
> release identifiers and such ugly stuff.
> Well, the build.bat had tis problem for ages.

In the medium term, I think some sort of protocol for provides/requires
and versioning will have to be established for matching jars.  It has
always galled me that everyone bundles everything to ensure that a
particular application runs.

> I'm contemplating mavenizing the build. I've got the
> personal advantage of working on commons-math which
> is also mavenized, and I have the repository already.
> OTOH I have no idea whether and how well mave would handle
> dependencies on Jimi, JAI, LotBC and other odd non-apache
> stuff.

What does mavenizing entail?

Incidentally, in the alt.design build, I have separated Version.java
into its own package, and I compile it separately at the beginning of
the build process to obtain version information for the rest of the
build.  A package is probably overkill.  Fop.java and Version.java
should probably belong to org.apache.fop.

Peter