From "Victor Mote" <...@outfitr.com>
Subject RE: How layout works
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:16:26 GMT
Glen Mazza wrote:

> > I have started (in an article originally written by
> > Arved) a project of
> > documenting in side-by-side columns (for the old and
> > new code) some of the
> > key control points in the code:
> > http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/implement.html
>
> You may wish to place this "walk thru" page in the
> design section, maybe in the "About" section.  This
> keeps all the "how it works" information on the design
> page.

I'm going to defer doing any of this until I get done with the rework on the
design doc. The original idea was for design to be abstract, and dev to be
concrete. However, what seems to be working better is to combine the two
into one page, basically issues at the top, then the implementation details
at the bottom. Dev then becomes tools, procedures, etc.

> The walk-thru page can eventually evolve into a list
> of the major/primary classes that Fop uses, in order
> of access, perhaps for a sample generation of
> simple.pdf from simple.fo.

Yes, that is exactly the idea.

> [One more suggestion for the Design section,
> "Compliance" is kind of confusing as a menu title for
> the FOP detailed description section:  Maybe "FOP
> Process", "Process Flow", "How FOP Works", etc., is
> clearer.]

I agree 100%. Kind of like the guy who kicked the cactus -- it seemed like
the thing to do at the time. That has already been changed in CVS. If you
want to see the current (unpublished) status, go to:
 http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-fop/design

Victor Mote