From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject RE: toward reunification
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:01:59 GMT

[ SNIP ]

> > It all comes down to our resource problem. :-(
>
> Our resource problem is self-inflicted. We made some bad choices along the
> way. Right now the success or failure of this project hinges on Keiron's
> ability to either get the layout done himself or help us help him get it
> done. If Jeremias and Joerg don't know how to get productive in the trunk
> layout code, we will never, NEVER (yes, I am shouting a bit) get
> anyone else
> to. If you count me as .05, we have 2.05 developers ready,
> willing, and able
> to help punch this thing forward. Keiron, can you show us where to start?

So, let us be bold. (I say "us", because I have recently started a
consulting business, and have some time. :-))

I would say *shut down* the maintenance branch. Leave the version as it is,
try to answer users' questions, but stop doing any coding on it. Let people
use FOP as it is, for the moment.

I've been in open-source for quite a while now. It is not useful to ask
Keiron where to start. The best thing to do is just to get aggressive, while
still being cooperative, and start committing code. If Keiron doesn't like
what you submitted or committed, he'll modify it or complain about it -
that's the way it's supposed to work.

I believe I will be able to assist also.

Arved