From "Barry Van Landeghem" <barrybvl...@hotmail.com>
Subject uniform formatter interface (jaxp)
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:13:32 GMT
<P>Hi guys,</P>
<P>There is something that bothers me. There are these days many formatters around but
there is not one uniform way to talk to those formatters. On the other hand there are also
many XML parsers and Transformers but JAXP is there a uniform way to use a parser or transformer
independent of a specific vendor implementation.</P>
<P>So wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of extension to JAXP so it can also be used
for every formatter. I think people would like if they can do stuff like.</P></FONT><FONT
face="Courier New" size=2>
<P>FormatterFactory factory = FormatterFactory.newInstance();</P>
<P>formatter = factory.newFormatter();</P>
<P>formatter.format(new StreamSource(new FileInputStream("input.fo")),new StreamResult(new
FileOutputStream("output.pdf")));</P></FONT><FONT face="Times New Roman">
<P>Of course is this just a simple example but you get the picture...</P>
<P>If you guys think that this might indeed be a good idea then I would like to volunteer
to make such framework in JAXP for formatting as a FOP implementation as well. Consider it
then as a proof of concept. If it then turns out to work nice and good then it perhaps might
be useful to make a demand to the JCP to extend the JAXP API. But of course that are issues
for later. For now I just want to know if you like the idea, if you would like me to work
this out in detail or not, etc ... </P>
<P>And on which FOP API should I try to do this? The old API or the new Avalonized API?</P>
<P>Let me know your opinion...</P>
<P>Barry </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Barry Van Landeghem</P>