From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: toward reunification
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:05:46 GMT
(even though inactive as a committer, I'd like to put my 2 cents in to
show support for what's happening)

Le mercredi, 23 avr 2003, à 23:01 Europe/Zurich, Arved Sandstrom a
écrit :

> ...I would say *shut down* the maintenance branch. Leave the version
> as it is,
> try to answer users' questions, but stop doing any coding on it. Let
> people
> use FOP as it is, for the moment.

Agreed - and as Victor mentions, this means getting the layout working
from the trunk code as soon as possible, putting all efforts towards
this. No one will use trunk code in production unless the output
documents are usable, regardless of how good or bad or Avalonized the
code looks inside (not to downplay Avalonizing or refactoring but
user-oriented priorities have to be set IMHO).

> ...I've been in open-source for quite a while now. It is not useful to
> ask
> Keiron where to start. The best thing to do is just to get aggressive,
> while
> still being cooperative, and start committing code...

Also agreed - IMHO people who have been elected as committers are fully
trusted to work on any part of the code, provided they're also ready to
fix whatever they might break. CVS is your friend anyway, even the
worst failures can be reversed if needed.

However, this requires measurable tests of one's success.

Automated tests would be hard to implement for FOP I think, but
semi-automated tests using self-describing documents or an existing
test suite (NIST?) are much easier to implement, for example by someone
creating a test document before fixing a problem, to show the
difference once it's fixed.

The quality of the test documents is decisive here, one must be able to
evaluate the results precisely simply by reading the generated document.

Having reliable tests will certainly help those who are afraid of
jumping in (provided there are such people, but it seems so) to get
their feet wet.

Hope this helps!

--
   Bertrand Delacretaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)
   XML, java, XSLT, Cocoon, FOP, mentoring/programming/teaching