From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: How layout works
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:53:27 GMT
Victor Mote wrote:
> I read somewhere that Peter Karow (I think) was trying to extrapolate TeX's
> paragraph-oriented line-breaking algorithm to a scheme that would optimize
> layout for a chapter (page-sequence to us). Until talked out of it, I have
> tentatively adopted this as my opinion of the "right" approach.
+1

> Knuth has
> laid out the theory, algorithms, and implementation in such detail on the
> line-breaking logic, that it seems (to my optimistic mind) for the other to
> be in reach as well.

Show stoppers: writing modes and side floats. Tables with automatically
determined column widths are still expensive, especially if spanning pages
with page masters with different body width (the spec doesn't talk about
this, for good reason).

> My apologies for the long post.
No need to apologize for writing up good ideas.

J.Pietschmann