From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: How layout works
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:10:58 GMT
Glen Mazza wrote:
> I don't know much (read: anything) about the Area Tree
> creation process.  But your step #5 sounds close to
> your description of what the maintenance branch code
> already does.
>
> Are you suggesting that it might be better to move
> back to the present layout functionality in the
> maintenance branch code, and just fixing the
> problems/adding the enhancements you mentioned to it
> directly?

No, there are still too much differences, in particular global
state (IDs) and out-of-line-area handling has to change
considerably. Apart from this, interfaces to the renderers
and to the font subsystem changed quite a bit.
I was talking about an evolution path for the redesigned
code into something which is easier to grok and makes it
much easier to implement constrained layout than the
maintenance code does.

J.Pietschmann