From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Eclipse was Re: toward reunification
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:09:50 GMT
Peter B. West wrote:
> I am in the process of commissioning an XP 2200+ system with 1Gb of
> memory, on which I will finally be able to run an environment like
> Eclipse in real time.

Eclipse runs without problems on my P3-533/256MB at work, using
Sun JDK 1.4.1_1 (<- the _1 seems to make a noticable difference).
Actually I think Eclipse is the greatest thing in IDEs since the
invention of sliced bread. I took much of the last two days to
get up to speed with it, and you'll probably see the result, a
simple XInclude processor, committed to xml-commons this weekend.

The main risk running Eclipse is that I get distracted by the
idea of implementing the FOP viewer as plugin :-)

Also, none of the available free XML plugins can beat Emacs+PSGML
yet. Editing FOs or XDocs with the plain text editor just sucks.
Has anybody already evaluated the most promising project which
attacks this problem?

J.Pietschmann