From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Plan for HEAD
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:52:25 GMT
Keiron Liddle wrote:
> Mostly we need to get the renderers back and fix/improve some layout things like
> forced page break, table cell spanning, couple of problems calculating current bpd.

I thought I start pushing head again, and the first problem jumping
into my face was that text-align="justify" was broken. Unfortunately,
I can't figure out how text alignment is supposed to work. Furthermore,
I think alignment should be done after page-numbers-citations are
resolved which again is something I can't figure out how it fits in.
Other problems: text-align-end is not used at all, illegal and/or
unimplemented property values give no diagnostic and cause seemingly
random behaviour, and background fill areas are not computed correctly.
This is just from 15 minutes of creating and running the most primitive
tests.

Several attempts ended in getting me almost catatonic because of
the various design oddities, inconsistently used naming conventions
and utterly illogical identifier and package choices. I don't think
I'll ever get a line of code written in the layout core without
someone doing a major clean-up before.

So what should I do now? Do some peripheral stuff like fiddling
a bit with the API/Avalonization?  Fix one or another bug in the
maintenance code, knowing that it will probably all thrown away?
Just twiddling thumbs, waiting for the occasions where Keiron or
even Karen resurface and give HEAD a push?

At a loss
J.Pietschmann