From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: 0.20.5rc3 (was Re: PDF Encryption: Clarification)
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:36:56 GMT
Christian (& the rest of you FOP folks--pun intended!)

Christian Geisert wrote:
> Well, there's quite some work involved in doing a Release Candidate.
> And a RC - as the name already says - is a kind of preview for the
> actual release (where the changes from candidate to release should
> be minimal). That's the theory ...

I'm sure that's true, and if there were to be more releases (from the
maintenance branch) after 0.20.5, I'd be all for waiting to make certain
the release is as perfect as possible. However, since 0.20.5 is
purported to be the be all, end all for the maintenance branch, I'd like
to make darn certain there aren't any outstanding issues. The only way I
can think of to do that, is to have more than one release candidate, and
test the bejeebers out of it. Forgive my <rant> here, but I personally
don't even think of 0.20.5rc2 as a valuable release candidate, since it
introduced a significant showstopper or two. I had to stop using it
almost immediately (but not before I spent a few hours and went through
all of *my* code, to see if I'd introduced the problem or it was
0.20.5rc2--it would've been so *easy* to just run 0.20.4/fop.bat as a
test--d'oh!). The fact that 0.20.5rc2 has been languishing for so long
as the "most current" release was frustrating to me.</rant>

As I said earlier, I wouldn't mind seeing a new release candidate ASAP,
so that I can continue testing 0.20.5x. The longer it takes for the next
RC to come out, the longer the wait'll be for 0.20.5 to be released. The
fact that 0.20.5 will be the last hurrah 'til 1.0DR1 actually makes me a
bit nervous. Then again, I haven't seen where 1.0DR1 is, so I don't know
where they are in the progress-bar. (Is there some sort of feature
comparison somewhere between 0.20.5x and 1.0DR1? I guess I could do the
CVS thing and find out...)

> [..]
>
>> Perhaps it is just that I don't understand why we would want to limit
>> the number of release candidates? Another potential problem, is that I'm
>> having problems figuring out how to use our CVS system. Is there an FAQ
>> somewhere?
>
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/tools.html

I'd seen that before, but now there appears to be <sheepishly>a
step-by-step there. 'Must've missed it.</sheepishly>

Thanks for the help! And for your hard work!
--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com