From Christian Geisert <christian.geis...@isu-gmbh.de>
Subject Re: 0.20.5rc3 (was Re: PDF Encryption: Clarification)
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 00:14:45 GMT
Clay Leeds schrieb:
> Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain the argument for limiting
> the number of Release Candidates? If testing needs to be done, why not
> create snapshots that could be used for testing more widely.

Well, there's quite some work involved in doing a Release Candidate.
And a RC - as the name already says - is a kind of preview for the
actual release (where the changes from candidate to release should
be minimal). That's the theory ...

You are right that we should provide snapshots ("daily builds") for
people who can't/won't use CVS - this is already on my todo list.

[..]

> Perhaps it is just that I don't understand why we would want to limit
> the number of release candidates? Another potential problem, is that I'm
> having problems figuring out how to use our CVS system. Is there an FAQ
> somewhere?

http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/tools.html

Christian