From Glen Mazza <glenma...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Startup Concepts Proposal; Avalon/API
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:49:10 GMT
It seems strange to have FOP sit on top of a
framework.  I would be more comfortable were Xalan and
Xerces using Avalon, but they appear to be staying
clear of it.

Language compilers and parsers--FOP's closest
programmatic siblings--normally don't run on top of
external frameworks.  With accuracy, speed, and tight
binding to standards being the criteria of FOP's
success, I see de-Avalonization occurring in the
future.

Another problem is that it would be good to have FOP
eventually integrated into the JDK like Xalan and
Xerces are, but I don't see Sun ever including Avalon
into its JDK.

But maybe my views are different here because my
mental model of FOP is that of an eventual
Xalan/Xerces, while others may think of FOP in terms
of Cocoon or Forrest.

Glen