From Glen Mazza <glenma...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: How layout works
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:02:54 GMT
--- Victor Mote <vic@outfitr.com> wrote:
> J.Pietschmann wrote:
>
> > it might be interesting to write up again how the
> layout core works
> > in the old and in the new code.
>
> We don't have a place to document the
> maintenance branch
> layout design, but I'll create one if you think it
> will help.

If the primary goal is to educate the newbies--I
wouldn't emphasize it too much.  I take it as a given
from the committers that it was not the best design,
and just concentrate on learning the current trunk
code instead.

> I have started (in an article originally written by
> Arved) a project of
> documenting in side-by-side columns (for the old and
> new code) some of the
> key control points in the code:
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/implement.html

You may wish to place this "walk thru" page in the
design section, maybe in the "About" section.  This
keeps all the "how it works" information on the design
page.

The walk-thru page can eventually evolve into a list
of the major/primary classes that Fop uses, in order
of access, perhaps for a sample generation of
simple.pdf from simple.fo.

[One more suggestion for the Design section,
"Compliance" is kind of confusing as a menu title for
the FOP detailed description section:  Maybe "FOP
Process", "Process Flow", "How FOP Works", etc., is
clearer.]

Glen