From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem with building docs - which Forrest version?
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:41:54 GMT
On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 01:53:16AM -0600, Victor Mote wrote:
> I applied the patch, but... All of our pages seem to be using pdfdoc.gif.
> See, for example:
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/download.html
> Right click the logo & look at "Properties" (or view source)

That had me confused.  Turns out forrestbot.cocoondev.org was using a
version of Forrest after 0.4, but before any major changes (Cocoon
upgrade, sitemap refactor).  For FOP, the only practical difference is
that PDF icon.

I assume you'll want to stick to released versions, so I've made the
forrestbot use 0.4 proper.

Attached is another patch for compliance2html.xsl which removes the
pdfdoc.gif link, and a patch which fixes a typo.

> The error that I mentioned wasn't on the image itself, but on the link to
> the pdf file (I probably said it wrong). Somehow (you probably know),
> something in Forrest/Cocoon knew the pdf was bad & this threw the NPE when
> building the HTML file. If I left the link out of the HTML stylesheet, the
> HTML file built without the NPE.

Cocoon 'crawls' pages, recursively following links.  By removing the link
to compliance.pdf, Cocoon didn't try to render the PDF, and didn't break
on the bad .xsl file.

> When I first started the stylesheets, I simply cut & pasted from real
> Forrest-generated html on our live site. The import is an effort to tie it
> more closely to the standard stylesheets. More can be done with this, if we
> modularize the standard stylesheets a bit. I intend to (eventually) submit a
> patch to Forrest for this.

One option is to first apply compliance2fo, and then apply the standard
document2fo afterwards.

> Thanks for the great support -- I don't know anywhere else in the world
> where you get support without even asking for it!

Forrest can be such a PITA, we pretty much have to ;)

--Jeff