From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: FOP exceptions and avalonization
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:46:46 GMT

On 23.04.2003 01:34:30 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Hi devs,
> you may have noticed my patch ffor providing error locations
> in FOP Exception messages. How will/does this interfere with
> using Avalon exceptions, especially CascadingException, with
> FOP?

I don't think it will. The only thing that changes is the nested
exception not being defined in FOPException but in CascadingException.

> Should we still subclass CascadingException in order to
> provide location information?

I think we can leave it as is. Leave it in FOPException, I mean.

> Should this derived exception
> always be used, or only at points where location information
> is actually available?

Doesn't matter. It doesn't take up memory there. It's the FObj instances
that use the memory.

> Also, any opinions whether I (or someone else) should check
> log and Messagehandler messages whether they could be enhanced
> with location information before 0.20.5rc3 is released? Or
> after the rc3 release?

If you created an immutable class SourceLocation (or something like that)
you could have a toString() method that is easily used in log messages
if necessary. No strong opinion here.

Jeremias Maerki