From Glen Mazza <glenma...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: funding developers (WAS: tagged PDF)
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:07:09 GMT
>> Having an explicit list of committers on the site
>> could also help get FOP done more quickly.  The
>> current situation, where would-be FOP developers,
in
>> addition to working for free, must labor in
anonymity
>> may be reducing the pool of top developers willing
>> work on the project.

>I'm wonder what triggered that paragraph. Would you
>explain?

Sure--by "laboring in anonymity" I'm not referring to
the non-committers or users like myself, but I was
referring to the committers (and their companies)
themselves.

Looking at three of Apache's more/most successful
projects:  Apache, Tomcat, and Struts, each has a "Who
We Are" section listing the committers, their email
addresses, and some their sponsoring companies.

for example (Apache):
http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/,
(Tomcat):
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/whoweare.html

This gives the committers order-of-magnitude better
recognition for their work, also their companies,
which in turn creates more sponsorship, as companies
try to outdo themselves by having the most well-known
employees.  The system works well for these projects:
some of the best talent worldwide work on them.

But with products lacking a "Who We Are" section,
committers/companies working on the project have to
labor in (relative) anonymity.  I was thinking this
might be limiting the pool of "top developers" (i.e.,
XML/parsing gurus who can make mincemeat out of FOP,
while drunk, in their sleep...) that FOP can lure.

Glen