From Tony Graham <Tony.Gra...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Automated FOP test
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:58:36 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote at 24 Apr 2003 22:01:44 +0200:
 > Another easy case is detecting regressions during code cleanup,
 > refactoring or implementing features which don't have influence
 > on a certain test case. In this case the test case can be
 > expected to produce an identical PDF (or other format). We can
 > write a test which runs the formatting, compute a MD5 from the
 > PDF byte stream and compares it with a precomputed value. We'll
 > need a some framework because the checksums can be expected to
 > change fairly often, but I think this approach is still of some
 > help overall.

For xmlroff, I have a somewhat clunky system that uses ImageMagick to
make bitmaps from the PDF output and then compares the bitmaps against
a reference.  If a diff of the bitmaps shows a difference, the test
script runs ImageMagick on both the result and the reference to
produce a 'stereo' output where one image provides the red channel and
the other input provides the blue channel.

An example of the 'stereo' output is at
http://xmlroff.sourceforge.net/examples/kerning/.

There's also XSLT stylesheets to create summary and individual pages
for each test and Perl scripts for updating the XML for the test
results.

What I have is available on SourceForge, but I don't expect it to be
directly usable for FOP, and I'm writing just to show what can be done
without too much effort.

Regards,

Tony Graham