From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: markers in redesign
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:58:55 GMT
Peter B. West wrote:
> More heart-in-the-mouth stuff for me, as I have coded the pre- and
> post-order iterators in Node according to another interpretation, and I
> have just had a mad search to try to justify it.
>
>  From the DOM Level 2 Traversal and Range spec glossary:
>
> document order
>     The term document order has the same meaning as depth first,
> pre-order traversal, which is equivalent to the order in which the start
> tags occur in the text representation of the document.

Ouch, I mistakenly used in-order traversal, instead of
pre-order traversal. This clears up quite a few mysteries!
Does spec reading cause temporary brain damage?

This means if there are FOs generating nested areas with
markers with the same marker-class in nested FOs, the
outermost marker will be retrieved unless a isFirst()
or isLast() preference kicks in.

This still leaves the question: Does a block with a
break-before="page" or a break-after="page" span two pages,
or will it always be the first/last area on the page its
content is rendered on?
Examples
  <fo:block id="A">
    <fo:marker marker-class="I" id="m1"/>
    <fo:block id="B" break-after="page">
      <fo:marker marker-class="I" id="m2"/>
    </fo:block>
  </fo:block>
Does last-ending-within-page retrieve m1 or m2?
I'd think m2.

  <fo:block id="A" break-after="page">
    <fo:marker marker-class="I" id="m1"/>
    <fo:block id="B">
      <fo:marker marker-class="I" id="m2"/>
    </fo:block>
  </fo:block>
Does last-ending-within-page retrieve m1 or m2?
Probably m1, but where in the spec can I find backing for this
opinion?

J.Pietschmann