From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: hyphenation patterns
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:29:37 GMT
On 06.03.2003 19:41:30 Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> * Jeremias Maerki; <dev.jeremias@greenmail.ch> on 06 Mar, 2003 wrote:
> >Thanks for bringing it up again. It forgot that in the pile of work
> >these license problems generate. I'm sorry. I've updated the Wiki page
> >accordingly.
>
> I know you have tons of stuff to be sorted our with these licenses. Just
> to make sure that as the submitter of the tr.xml let me know if tehre is
> anything I can do to assist

Thank you!

> * Keiron Liddle; <keiron@aftexsw.com> on 05 Mar, 2003 wrote:
> >Hello Togan,
> >
> >In the FOP project we a trying to clear up some license issues.
> >You donated a turkish hyphenation patterns file.
> >
> >What is the license for that? Did you modify the original tex hyphenations and
> >what was the license for that file?
>
> Well I had send an email on Feb 17th 2003 to fop-dev mailinglist about
> this issue and Jeremias said he would contact Turgut Uyar as there is no
> license on the header. My modification is only to make FOP use the file
> and I do not think that is rocket science :-) Nevertheless if you also
> need grant for my work FOP project may use it

Unfortunately, that's not so easy. You've created a derived work, which
can't simply claim full copyright for.

It turns out that the file mentions multiple authors. Now the question
is: Who is the copyright owner that can give us the right to use, modify
and redistribute that file? Pierre A. MacKay seems to be the original
author. H. Turgut Uyar has modified it. Now, who owns the copyright? We
would probably have to get a permission from both people. So that's
three in the end if we count you in. And there's more. I've just found a
related C source file
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/turkish/hyphen/turk_hyf.c
from Pierre A. MacKay which states that in case of commercial
distribution the author must be contacted. Which is one more indicator
that there could be problems with licensing. The whole TeX thing is a
legal nightmare if you ask me. Well, maybe we (or I) are overdoing
things here but we (or I) want to do it right.

> Let me know if you need further information ,

It would be good if we could find the location where the trhyph.tex in
the SuSE ditribution comes from. I don't want to download the whole
thing just for verifying one little file.

> * Jeremias Maerki; <dev.jeremias@greenmail.ch> on 14 Feb, 2003 wrote:
> >tr.xml
> >Can't find original file.
> >No licence. Check with author.
>
> Well, since I sent out the Turkish hyphenation file I should know where
> it comes right. The trhyphen.tex is installed from the SuSE 8.1 distro
>
> toganm@earth:~/hangar> rpm -qf /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/trhyph.tex
> tetex-beta.20020207-254
>
> the trhyph.tex file has the following header
>
> % A mechanically generated Turkish Hyphenation table for TeX,
> % using the University of Washington diacritical coding
> % developed by P. A. MacKay for the Ottoman Texts Project.
> % Slightly modified by H. Turgut Uyar.
>
> Turgut Uyar has the following addres based on "google search"
> uyar@cs.itu.edu.tr
>
> Would you like to contact him directly or do you want me to do so ?
> Although I think you can explain the needs and requirements better than
> I can

Jeremias Maerki