From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: ASCII text output and pagination
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:28:27 GMT
The correct thing to do whould be to use media-usage="bounded-in-one-dimension"
on fo:root. The problem is that this isn't implemented in FOP, yet. And
it's not only a matter of changing the ASCII renderer, I'm afraid. You
would have to teach the layout engine not to make any page breaks and
to increase the page length as necessary.

If you decide to try fixing that I would recommend you to work with us
on the redesign to implement this feature because the maintenance branch
(from which 0.20.5 originates) will soon be discontinued. The other
problem is that the ASCII renderer hasn't been brought back in the
redesign. So it would involve helping us with that one, too.

On 05.03.2003 16:14:54 Illiano, Vincent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using FOP to generate PDF and corresponding ASCII text output files.
> I'm using FOP to generate the corresponding ASCII output instead of just
> straight XSL because the reports I'm creating contain many tables with
> varying widths and columns.  I also didn't want to have to worry about line
> breaking.
>
> The ASCII text output is actually working quite nicely.  Figuring out what
> font-family (Courier), font-size (7.3pt), and line-height (10.5pt) to use
> solved the problems I was having with missing spaces and sequential lines in
> the output overlaying one another.
>
> There is still one problem I need to solve - pagination.  The text output
> files that I'm creating do not need pagination, since they are just one long
> virtual page.  But FOP is inserting page breaks at the page boundries.  Is
> there a way to tell FOP not to insert page breaks in text mode?  I know I
> can solve the problem by creating a simple-page-master with an arbitrarily
> long page-height, and then do some post-processing on the generated output
> file.  But I thought I'd see if there's a more elegant solution.
>
> If FOP cannot currently surpress page breaks in text mode, how hard would it
> be for me to add this functionality myself?  Can anybody familiar with the
> ASCII renderer point me where to look?

Jeremias Maerki