From "Keiron Liddle" <kei...@aftexsw.com>
Subject Re: markers in redesign
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 23:19:09 GMT
> This still leaves the question: Does a block with a
> break-before="page" or a break-after="page" span two pages,
> or will it always be the first/last area on the page its
> content is rendered on?
> Examples
>   <fo:block id="A">
>     <fo:marker marker-class="I" id="m1"/>
>     <fo:block id="B" break-after="page">
>       <fo:marker marker-class="I" id="m2"/>
>     </fo:block>
>   </fo:block>
> Does last-ending-within-page retrieve m1 or m2?
> I'd think m2.

The area from block A will always be a parent of the area from block B. So surely
that after block B ends then the containing block A will end. The forced break only
tells us that we should force a break at that position otherwise it is the same as a
normal break.

>   <fo:block id="A" break-after="page">
>     <fo:marker marker-class="I" id="m1"/>
>     <fo:block id="B">
>       <fo:marker marker-class="I" id="m2"/>
>     </fo:block>
>   </fo:block>
> Does last-ending-within-page retrieve m1 or m2?
> Probably m1, but where in the spec can I find backing for this
> opinion?

Look in 4.2.5 Stacking constraints.
In the diagram case 2, A is before B. So that in your example the after edge of
block A is after the after edge of block B, so m1.

Keiron