From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Use Cases & Feature Requests
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 03:18:38 GMT
Hi, folks

In one form or another we get feature requests now - people ask why feature
X is not implemented, or when it will be implemented, or whether it's
implemented, and we can logically surmise that this is a desired feature. :-)

But this all arrives in a fairly haphazard and disjointed fashion. It's hard
for us to piece together a picture of what are the most important features.
All of you who are programmers know that just a list of rquirements is not
enough - you also want to have priorities: is this a "1"? Is that a "3"? Is
this "must-have" or is it "optional"?

So, what I'd like to request is this. If you can or want, please provide a
prioritized list of features that you consider important. These can be
features that are already in place, or unimplemented ones. Bear in mind that
because of refactoring, implemented features could get bashed around a bit
(which you have already seen), so if it is important to you that feature
such-and-such doesn't get this kind of treatment, or is broken for as short
a period of time as possible, include that feature in your list.

The ranking scale isn't overly important - use a scale of 1-5, with 1 being
the most important, if you like, or rate your features as "must have",
"important", "nice to have", or anything that makes sense to all of us.
Please label the post as being a FEATURE LIST or something similar.

If you can provide use-cases at the same time, "e.g. we are doing business
forms, and use the following features, with these categories of
importance...", that would be even better.

There is no urgency. Obviously the more of these we have the better it will
be for all concerned, I believe. It's easier for us to look at a bug with a
user-specified severity and urgency in the defect tracking, and assess it,
if we have a bigger picture and more context for FOP usage and wish-lists.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type