From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: STATUS - next project
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:47:16 GMT
At 10:56 PM 3/14/01 +0100, Karen Lease wrote:
>Since I started to change the allocation/content width code in Areas,
>I'm planning on going back and trying to do this "right", ie making
>allocation and content width correspond to the concepts in the CR. I'm
>not sure quite what I'm going to do yet; I thought about this quite a
>while back, but there have been rather a lot of changes in the fo and
>layout packages since then.
>
>Another thing I want to do is improve border rending in PDF (the half
>line-width offset problem) and especially in tables, where our current
>approach is quite far from what the CR says it should be (notably,
>borders should only be rendered on cells and not on rows and columns!).
>
>Anybody else already mucking about in either of these? If so, just yell
>and I will find some other playground.

I'm still interested in space-specifier resolution...I'm not planning, and
hadn't been, to deal with the above-mentioned stuff. Except peripherally.

I put some thought into your previous long email. My thinking parallels
yours. I am looking at how we deal with FO storage in the FO tree, and how
we can leverage that better, in conjunction with making easier and better
decisions about page-breaks (due to all factors). I believe we are having
difficulties and doing unnatural things because we are oriented strongly
towards the Page as the unit of layout processing, and it is probably better
(IMO) if we key off formatting objects, or groups of formatting objects, for
layout. It's not black & white, obviously.

This is fuzzy - I can think it better than I can describe it. :-)

I hope to have code coming out soon. It sounds like you'll be dealing with
the horizontal aspect of layout, and I'll be dealing with the vertical. Fair
assessment?

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type