From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Sections in documents
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:34:26 GMT
At 12:36 AM 3/13/01 -0500, Julian Bright wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>After reading the specification there doesn't seem to be any direct support
in the simple-template to enable having document section headers.  In
particular I am thinking of a Crystal Report style feature which enable you
to group data, and add headers/footers for particular data, repeat sections
etc.

>Thanks for any feedback,
>Julian.

You used the right word: "direct". It is the responsibility of the XML to
support the notion of a document section header, and it is the
responsibility of the XSLT stylesheet to convert that into the appropriate
FO. I want to stress that it is strongly recommended (not by me, but by the
W3C XSL WG) that people use XSLT to get FO, not prepare the FO directly. FOP
happens to have a lot of direct FO, but this is pedagogical and for testing.

FO is low-level; you'll note that it supports no logical constructs of this
sort, except where there is sort of a one-to-one mapping between a
specialized FO and the logical thing, such as fo:footnote.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)