From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: FOP with C++
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:50:42 GMT
At 03:11 AM 3/2/01 -0000, Allan Erskine wrote:
>I'd read that xsl:fo and CSS2 are converging....I still don't think I really
>understand the point - are they both going to end up short of general
>purpose (full pagination/magazine layout) while still taking on so much?

Just my jaundiced but arguably not unjustified perspective: XSL-FO and CSS
are not so much converging as CSS is diverging rapidly in all directions,
and aggressively moving into the space occupied by XSL-FO. CSS wishes to be
a complete desktop publishing solution, including for print. This is
according to their own blueprints and docs.

My opinion: if XSL-FO sticks with what it ought to stick with, which is
delivering an XML-based high-quality rendering solution primarily intended
for print, we'll be OK. In order to do so effectively we, in fact, probably
need to prune some CSS-related bric-a-brac out of the spec. And I think we
all recognize that XSL 1.0 is aimed at content-driven layout, not
layout-driven layout. Doing the latter is a ways off and needs XSL 2.0.

Personally I think that _CSS_, not XSL-FO, is trying to be all things to all
people, and I fully expect to see it bloat itself to death. Again, that's
just my opinion, but it's not based on speculation, either. I just observe
what CSS is in fact doing and saying.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

P.S. Not everyone is enthusiastic about a C++ FOP at this point. The
argument was made that administration and coordination could divert some
resources from FOP-J if a FOP-C started up. That argument has validity.
Still, my feeling is that if there exists a body of volunteers that wants to
embark on a FOP-C, who would not otherwise really be engaged, please go for
it. I'll help out where I can. And you realize that nobody can exactly stop
you from starting such a codebase. :-)

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)