From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Style-sheet repository AND fop-users mailing list
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:35:47 GMT
At 01:58 PM 3/1/01 -0500, Daryl Beattie wrote:
>Dear FOP developers,
>
>	Is there someplace where there is a repository of
>donated/open-source style sheets for converting various standard XML formats
>to FO specifically for use with FOP? The reason I ask is that there is lots
>of talk of converting DocBook to PDF using FOP, and... heck, I'd love to do
>that. But, being a programmer, I don't want to re-write style-sheets that
>other people have already done. Also, if there was such a style-sheet and I
>needed more functionality, I could "contribute" to the style sheet in an
>open-source manner. Ideas?

The answer is probably no. Leastways, I'm not aware of anything like that,
although I have not conducted anything beyond a cursory search. But I think
that XSL-FO is a bit too young for something like this to have developed yet.

You've identified a key building-block for XSL-FO adoption, though.

>	Also, it seems that this question, and some of the other questions I
>see on the fop-dev mailing list, are "usage" questions instead of
>development questions. I looked through the archive, and in November of 2000
>there were about 15 votes for a fop-users group, however..... where is it?
>Anyway: +1 for fop-users.

Ahhh, this is entirely my fault. It got lost in the shuffle...my bust. I
guess I have one question, though...seeing as how there is a highly
underutilized resource at www-xsl-fo@w3.org, do we need a fop-users list
that much? Honest question. And maybe a lot of the questions can actually be
addressed better on _this_ list, since they are deficiencies in docs or
design or coding or bundling that we developers need to address anyhow.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)