From Kelly Campbell <c...@merlot.channelpoint.com>
Subject Re: some minor optimizing
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:16:56 GMT
Like I said, the only part that concerns me is the unicode (actually CID
now that I'm looking closer at it). I will hold off until after the
release just to be safe. That was my original plan until I saw how simple
my changes are. But since I have been bitten by even the slightest
changes once before, I'll wait. :-)

On a semi-related topic, I added an explicit System.exit(0) at the end of
Fop.java's main() to work around a bug in the MacOS X JVM. This actually
got in the way of my memory tests, and it got me to thinking, some people
have been embedding Fop by calling our main(). Though that isn't the right
way to embed Fop, they're program will now exit when main is done.

I looked for other System.exit's and they're all over the place. This
means if something like a Servlet triggers a part of the code that handles
an error by exiting, their whole servlet engine exits. I will make this
one of the first things on my list to refactor. We should handle errors
via throwing exceptions, not exiting, even on the command line version.

I'm going to back out my change to main() right now just to be safe.

-Kelly

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 02:30:00PM -0400, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> At 06:25 AM 3/31/01 -0700, Kelly Campbell wrote:
> >Attached is a patch of some optimizations I've done and I wanted to have a
> >second opinion on whether or not I should commit this before or after the
> >0.18 release on Sunday. I focused on object allocations, and have been
> >very surprised at the results and how little effort it took.
>
> Just to be on the safe side I'd say we wait. I'd say that even if someone
> came through with some sensational new functionality right now, and had it
> ready to commit.
>
> It's your call - you know exactly what you did. If you want to commit, could
> you rtag the current stuff as "fop-0_18_1" beforehand, so we have a known
> point? Thanks.
>
> >Also, for those interested in how I profiled for object allocation, I'm
> >using the techniques described in O'Reilly's Java Performance Tuning book
> >by Jack Shirazi.
>
> Good book. :-) I have it also.
>
> Regards,
> Arved Sandstrom
>
> Fairly Senior Software Type
> e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)
> Wireless * B2B * J2EE * XML --- Halifax, Nova Scotia

Kelly A. Campbell              Software Engineer
<camk@merlotxml.org>           ChannelPoint, Inc.
<camk@channelpoint.com>        Colorado Springs, Co.