From Alex McLintock <ale...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Table column widhts
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:29:54 GMT

--- "Sander, Stefan" <ssander@microstrategy.com> wrote: > Hi there,

> since there are many people out there writing tables in their PDFs,
> has anyone come up with a good algorithm to determine the column widths
> based on content?

My algorithm...

  Divide the width available by the number of columns and assign that as
  width for each column.

  Produce a pdf from it.

LABEL:

  See which columns look bad and need to be widened or made thinner.
  Consider whether to align right, left or center each column. (my numbers are
  usually right aligned)

  Produce a pdf from it.

  if not satisfactory then go to LABEL.

> Can anyone point me to the right direction or offer some hints?

Your problem is that deciding on column widths is a visual thing to be done
by a designer with a pair of eyes. Unless you have a well known set of table data
(such as integers) and a well understood way of determinining size
(eg number of digits) then you really don't have an alternative.

Sorry.

Alex

http://www.OWAL.co.uk/asf/fop.jsp FOP FAQ
please email me with new questions and answers because I am useless and have broken
the registration mechanism.

=====
Alex McLintock        alex@OWAL.co.uk

OpenWeb Analysts Ltd, http://www.OWAL.co.uk/