From Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
Subject RE: PCL renderer and borders (commit please)
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:22:24 GMT
I was thinking about this over the weekend and I think that doFrame() is
probably definitely the place to fix this. Since each border side may have a
different thickness (and color, etc). The line endings need to be adjusted
by the thickness of the adjacent side. Of course there is still the issue of
"line join". I suspect that someone would argue for "mitered" corners, but I
think that the implementation of this would be a bit involved (at least in
PCL - which is what I care most about). Not impossible, or even very
difficult, but not as simple (fast) as just drawing the lines as rectangles.

If someone has not fixed this yet, I will take a whack at it. The "off by
one" error is probably due to rounding or something.

Excellent! I am delighted to hear that the PCLRenderer is working for you.
Especially since I think that we are kindred stuck in JDK 1.1 land.

Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Geisert [mailto:Christian.Geisert@isu-gmbh.de]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 12:00 PM
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: PCL renderer and borders (commit please)

Art Welch wrote:

> Thank You!
>
> Actually, now the PCL and PDF renderers produce identical output. I think
> that regarding borders the question comes down to line termination. When
we
> have a line that is more than one pixel thick, we are centering the line
> along the unit line along its length, but what do we do at the ends.
> Currently we are doing something like this (where "+---...---+" is the
unit
> line):
>
>        ------------------------
>        |                      |
>        +----------------------+
>        |                      |
>        ------------------------
>
> When we increase the thickness should we also increase the length by the
> thickness as in:
>
>     ------------------------------
>     |  |                      |  |
>     |  +----------------------+  |
>     |  |                      |  |
>     ------------------------------
>
> This would probably fix the border problem, but may make leaders, etc more
> complicated. I do not remember the specification saying anything about
line
> cap and join issues. Maybe I missed it.

I did not see anything either but most people will probably agree that the
current border corners are not looking "correct".

> For now we could probably either change doFrame or addLine to adjust for
> this. I kind of prefer changing doFrame, because that is less likely to
also
> require changes to leaders or line styles. Also since the default line cap
> for PDF/PostScript seems to be none (as in the top diagram) that argues
for
> it as reasonable line behavior.

I tried changing the way borders are drawn in doFrame() last week.
I added half of the line thickness to the correspong starting/ending-points
and it was getting closer to the expected result (one pixel/point(?) too
much)
Then I played around with the PDF-file (after turning compression off)
but did not find a perfect solution yet.

> Art

Christian

P.S.  I just used your PCLRenderer to print on a Printer attached direct to
      AS/400 and it worked great!