From Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
Subject RE: PCL renderer and borders (commit please)
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:13:05 GMT
Thank You!

Actually, now the PCL and PDF renderers produce identical output. I think
that regarding borders the question comes down to line termination. When we
have a line that is more than one pixel thick, we are centering the line
along the unit line along its length, but what do we do at the ends.
Currently we are doing something like this (where "+---...---+" is the unit
line):

       ------------------------
       |                      |
       +----------------------+
       |                      |
       ------------------------

When we increase the thickness should we also increase the length by the
thickness as in:

    ------------------------------
    |  |                      |  |
    |  +----------------------+  |
    |  |                      |  |

This would probably fix the border problem, but may make leaders, etc more
complicated. I do not remember the specification saying anything about line
cap and join issues. Maybe I missed it.

For now we could probably either change doFrame or addLine to adjust for
this. I kind of prefer changing doFrame, because that is less likely to also
require changes to leaders or line styles. Also since the default line cap
for PDF/PostScript seems to be none (as in the top diagram) that argues for
it as reasonable line behavior.

Art