From Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
Subject RE: Question regarding text renderer
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:24:24 GMT

direct printing. Does someone know for sure about this?

Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Jens Schäfers [mailto:schaefers@adesso.de]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 6:02 AM
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question regarding text renderer

Hi,

I've replaced all occurences of "\n" with "\r\n" in the text renderer class.
Though
it works very well it is just a "find and replace" hack that should be
implemented
with a bit more thought by someone who knows what he/she does ;-).

The problem with the small fonts does occur and will be adressed in the
stylesheets.
Perhaps I will remove all font attributes in my stylesheets for the plain
text
generation.

So far there are no further problems with the text renderer an the
formatting looks
just great.

The pcl renderer also works great. The -print switch now doesn't throw any
null
pointer exception anymore (that was a fo-file problem). Now the following
error
occurs:

setting up fonts
formatting FOs into areas
 [1FATAL ERROR: null

I don't know what to make of that. The pcl renderer has no such problem.

Jens

Jens Schäfers wrote:

> Hi Art,
>
> I'd like to make the changes mentioned by you. But I must admit that I've
yet
> only meager talents in java programming.
>
> I'll try anyway, if it is as simple as exchanging a "\n" for a "\r\n". The
> problem for me is not the printing but the viewing in windows text
editors. The
> Unix style line endings are tearing my line breaks apart.
>
> Certainly I will have to adjust the pdf-generating stylesheets. But that
would
> be only small changes. For me the text renderer is very useful, because it
> provides a way to generate raw text data that can be processed by
applications
> that cannot use xml input yet. Naturally I'll let you how it works for me.
> think I can post a problem summary. There were some, but I will try to
verify
> them first.
>
> And thanks for your hints with the fonts. I'll take care about it.
>
> There's another question I didn't ask yesterday:
>
> When I use the PCL renderer to generate a pcl file there is no problem.
But when
> I use the -print switch to send the output directly to a pcl printer, fop
throws
> a null pointer exception when generating the first page.
>
> Is there something I must mind in the stylesheets?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jens
>
> Art Welch wrote:
>
> > As submitted it uses Unix style line endings "\n". It would probably be
> > good idea to make this configurable somehow (file, public variable, or
> > setter method). It was in the original plan to do this (as well as
providing
> > an option to turn graphics off/on), but this never got implemented. If
you
> > (or anyone else) does not make this change, maybe I will look into it. I
> > know that some printers prefer DOS style line endings "\r\n". Actually I
> > think that some printers also like a plain "\r". Should be a simple
change.

> > I am really glad that someone may be able to use the text renderer.
Please
> > let me know if it actually works for you.
> >
> > As a pointer, if you use a fixed font (Courier) in a size that closely
> > matches the virtual font size used by the renderer (determined by the
CPI