From Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
Subject RE: FOP with C++
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:18:41 GMT
I debated responding to this, because it does not really deal with FOP, and
it is the same old lame argument... But I will try to be brief.

Java is not NECESSARILY slower than C++. This depends on the application and
the implementation. While it may be true that for some (perhaps many)
applications it may be possible to eek out greater performance with a C++
application than a Java application. With modern Java and JIT and/or HotSpot
compilation and proper design the difference may not be significant. For
example the C++ implementation of Xalan was actually SLOWER than the Java
version (I do not know if this is still the case). Unfortunately Java earned
a bad performance reputation early on when everything was interpreted, JVMs
performed poorly, and developers had not learned how to program in Java.
These have been (or are being) addressed. With the compilation techniques
and improved JVM implementations, there need not be a significant
performance penalty for Java vs. C++. Of course programmers need to learn
that Java needs some different techniques for better performing Java
applications.

Regarding a C++ implementation of FOP. I would expect that since it has not
been started yet (to my knowledge), by the time there was something
runnable, the Java folks would be well along in enhancing the performance of
FOP-J. So in all likelihood, the Java version would actually perform better
than the C++ version. Sure the C++ version MAY catch up - but how long are
you willing to wait? Even if it does eventually perform better, would the
likely small difference be worth the wait?

I said more than I was going to... sorry,
Art (brevity is not my forte)