From Karen Lease <kle...@club-internet.fr>
Subject fo:block-container, padding and borders
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:57:19 GMT
Just for information, I'm copying the list on a question I sent the W3C
XSL Editors. Anyone else have any ideas?
--------------------------------
Hello,

I'd like to make sure I have the correct understanding of how to handle
padding and border on block-container formatting objects.

In section 6.5.3 I read:
"The fo:block-container formatting object generates one or more
viewport/reference pairs.
The following properties apply to this formatting object:
  [7.4 Common Absolute Position Properties]
  [7.6 Common Border, Padding, and Background Properties] "

In the general explanation of the area model (Chapter 4.9.4), it says
that the border is not rendered for areas which are children of
viewport-areas.
Since border and padding can be specified on block-container, should
they be applied to the viewport-area?

For example, suppose I have an absolutely positioned block-container.
The values for left,top etc. position its content rectangle. Assuming no
scrolling, the content rectangle for the reference area and its parent
viewport area should be the same (at least their start and before edges
are the same). If non-zero padding and border were specified for the
block container, are they to be rendered outside the content rectangle
of the viewport area?

Thanks in advance,

Karen Lease, FOP'er