From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Code submission: TrueType font support
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:36:46 GMT
Hi, Fotis

I can knock this out tonight. Incidentally, you will doubtless have noticed
that Stuart Zakon's new design docs (API with images, from Togther, for the
pdf and layout packages) got committed. Since you are the documentation
maestro I guess we could use your feedback on the best spot to link that
stuff in (it's in docs/design/contrib, and there are 2 natural entry points,
1 for each package).

Regards,
Arved

At 11:09 AM 1/30/01 +0100, Fotis Jannidis wrote:
>Great! Thanks for the contribution. If nobody else
>has time to commit it, I can do it, but I am not sure whether I can
>do this before week-end, so if anybody is able to do this earlier ...
>
>Fotis
>

>Send reply to:  	fop-dev@xml.apache.org
>Date sent:      	Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:29:42 +0100 (MET)
>From:           	Tore Engvig <tengvig@infostream.no>
>To:             	fop-dev@xml.apache.org
>Subject:        	Code submission: TrueType font support
>

>> Attached is a .tar.gz file containing code, a changes file describing
>> added files and changes to existing files, and an example document
>> describing how to create font metrics and embed truetype and type 1
>> fonts.
>>
>> The submitted code is support for using TrueType fonts, and embedding
>> of TrueType and Type1 fonts, and support for kerning.
>>
>> To embed fonts you have to enter the fontnames to embed in the
>> userconfig.xml file. You also have to use the userconfig.xml file to
>> enable kerning.
>>
>> Fontsupport is still using the old approach of compiling in the
>> fontclass. In the future it would've been nicer to create metric.xml
>> files and enable them trough the userconfig.xml file. It would've also
>> been nice to know wich fonts that are used in a document and only
>> embed those fonts (or add metric information for used fonts only) - an
>> even nicer approach would've been to known which glyphs use the
>> different fonts and only embed subsets.
>>
>> This code works for most latin fonts, but as the example shows, it has
>> some weaknesses. It assumes too much about the encoding and doesn't
>> reencode fonts. That's on the todo list. Also on the todo list are:
>> reading metrics from .afm files and support for more fonttypes (eg CID
>> Keyed fonts).
>>
>> Note: Acrobat3 doesn't like embedded fonts. You'll have to use
>> Acrobat4.

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)