From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: fo:block-container, padding and borders
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:17:46 GMT
At 11:57 PM 1/4/01 +0100, Karen Lease wrote:
[ Snip ]
>In the general explanation of the area model (Chapter 4.9.4), it says
>that the border is not rendered for areas which are children of
>viewport-areas.
>Since border and padding can be specified on block-container, should
>they be applied to the viewport-area?
>
>For example, suppose I have an absolutely positioned block-container.
>The values for left,top etc. position its content rectangle. Assuming no
>scrolling, the content rectangle for the reference area and its parent
>viewport area should be the same (at least their start and before edges
>are the same). If non-zero padding and border were specified for the
>block container, are they to be rendered outside the content rectangle
>of the viewport area?

Hi, Karen

My thoughts are also based on reading section 4.9.4.

I would say that the border does not get rendered. The statement "For a
child of a viewport-area, the border is not rendered" does not lend itself
to any other interpretation.

With no scroll, the background gets rendered into the padding area, and this
lies in the viewport area. That is, outside the content rectangle.

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)