From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: Headers/footers with different contents
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2001 02:01:01 GMT
At 04:44 PM 1/2/01 -0800, Michael Aronov wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>I need to create a document containing several chapters and meeting
>following requirements:
>
>1. Each chapter should start with a new page and may contain an arbitrary
>number of pages.
>2. The chapter related information (actually, the chapter name and number
>which can be stored in XML file under specific tags) should appear on the
>top of each page.
>
>The problem is that as it seems to me, the only way to implement a
>header/footer is using static-content objects, but in my case these objects
>have to be different for each chapter.  And because the length of each
>chapter is unknown (in advance), I cannot create several
>repeatable-page-master-reference objects with appropriate maximum-repeats
>attributes.
>
>(If I put the chapter related information into the same static-content
>element, every header gives me the whole information from all chapters
>concatenated)

Hi, Michael

The classic way of doing this is to have an fo:page-sequence for each
chapter. Each page sequence can have their own page-sequence-master, or all
can use the same one. Page-sequence-masters are templates for selection of
page-masters; they do not retain memory after any given page-sequence is done.

Having different page sequences solves your header-footer static-content
problem, also. Flow names need only be unique within a single page sequence,
so all of your header static-contents can point to the same region in one
single simple-page-master, for example.

Hope this helps,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type