From "Michael Aronov" <maro...@entricom.com>
Subject Re: Headers/footers with different contents
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2001 01:24:19 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arved Sandstrom" <Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: <fop-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: Headers/footers with different contents

> At 04:44 PM 1/2/01 -0800, Michael Aronov wrote:
> >Hi everybody,
> >I need to create a document containing several chapters and meeting
> >following requirements:
> >
> >1. Each chapter should start with a new page and may contain an arbitrary
> >number of pages.
> >2. The chapter related information (actually, the chapter name and number
> >which can be stored in XML file under specific tags) should appear on the
> >top of each page.
> >
> >The problem is that as it seems to me, the only way to implement a
> >header/footer is using static-content objects, but in my case these
objects
> >have to be different for each chapter.  And because the length of each
> >chapter is unknown (in advance), I cannot create several
> >repeatable-page-master-reference objects with appropriate maximum-repeats
> >attributes.
> >
> >(If I put the chapter related information into the same static-content
> >element, every header gives me the whole information from all chapters
> >concatenated)
>
> Hi, Michael
>
> The classic way of doing this is to have an fo:page-sequence for each
> chapter. Each page sequence can have their own page-sequence-master, or
all
> can use the same one. Page-sequence-masters are templates for selection of
> page-masters; they do not retain memory after any given page-sequence is
done.

> Having different page sequences solves your header-footer static-content
> problem, also. Flow names need only be unique within a single page
sequence,
> so all of your header static-contents can point to the same region in one
> single simple-page-master, for example.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Arved Sandstrom

Dear Arved,
Thank you very much, it works!
By the way, I've got one more respond, from Dave. Here it is:
----
You need fo:marker! xep doesn't implement them, nor does Antenna House.
Does fop? I think passivetex does.
---
I haven't heard anything about fo:marker. Is it another way to solve this
problem?
Michael