From "Jon Smirl" <jonsm...@mediaone.net>
Subject xls:fo multi-swtich, etc
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:25:47 GMT
I just noticed the multi-* portions of XSL:fo in section 6.9. Until these sections were added
I had considered XSL:fo to be a very clean spec. Now I'm not so sure.

Why were these tags added instead of using the already existing concept of the DOM and behaviors?
Event DOM: http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/events.html
CSS Behaviors: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-becss-19990804

XSL:fo could have a set of standard behaviors that could then be attached to any tag instead
of creating new tags. This looks to me like a much more general and cleaner approach. The
standard behavior approach is not incompatible with translation to PDF. You'd just look for
the standard behavior instead of the special tag.

I would argue that all interactivity with XSL:fo be specified via the DOM/behaviors mechanism
and nothing be allowed into the basic XSL:fo language. This would be a good case for merging
a schema describing behaviors with XSL:fo.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@mediaone.net