From "Andrew Stone" <ast...@brightlane.com>
Subject RE: HTML to PDF (or) XML to PDF
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:48:33 GMT
Krish,
I am relatively new to the whole XML/PDF and web design for that matter.
However, I think the best approach would be to convert from XML to PDF.

Here is my reasoning...

Keep the process simple.  If you are wanting to convert from XML to PDF,
then why have an extra step of converting it to HTML first?  What if you
didn't
want to use HTML at all?  You would still have to convert it to HTML then to
PDF
using HTMLDOC.

There are actually other arguments I have, but I think this is the best.

I hope this helps...

andy

-----Original Message-----
From: Palaniappan, Krishnasamy [mailto:PalaniK@diebold.com]
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 5:24 PM
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: HTML to PDF (or) XML to PDF

Hi,
I have created stylesheets using XSLT to transform XML files into HTML. I
also have a need to convert the same XML files to PDF files. It looks like I
have 2 options, at the minimum:
1. Use FOP to convert the XML to PDF.
2. Use third-party software like HTMLDOC 1.1.9 that converts HTML files into
PDF.

Since I have already created the stylesheets to convert XML to HTML, I would
just have to use the GUI that comes with this software to further transform
the HTML to PDF.

Can someone tell me the advantages of using one approach over  the other? I
would like to go the FOP way but just want to know the differences.

Thanks,
Krish