From COFFMAN Steven <SCoff...@CBSINC.com>
Subject RE: How to use CMYK in PDF-Transformation
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 16:20:36 GMT
>>I assumed that the XSL-FO editors saw RGB/CMYK/G as a preference for the
>>renderer based on what print media it's meant to go to. That's how I was
>Hmm that's not quite right. If you look at the color specification in
>chapter 7.16.1 of
>the FO:specification it links to the CCS2 reference which clearly states an
>ICC or RGB-Value

When you specify the color as "blue" in XSL-FO, that's nonsense in PDF.
Right now, we convert such to the appropriate RGB. The vast majority of
possible outputs for XSL-FO (screen, printer, RTF) only support one
Colorspace. PDF is rather unique in supporting multiple colorspaces. The
purposeful lack of a mechanism in XSL-FO's of suggesting a colorspace
preference, means that it is entirely left to the discretion of the
renderer, in this case FOP. So far our discretion has been to go with RGB,
but we could allow a preference to be set by the user.

At the time, I was thinking of shoving such a preference into the
xml-fop/src/codegen directory, but real configuration settings, either
Fotis's suggestion or Avalon style, are probably more technically correct. I
just downloaded the latest Avalon CVS, so I'll begin to play with it again,
but this kind of thing is a ways off.

>I assumed that the XSL-FO editors saw RGB/CMYK/G as a preference for the
>renderer based on what print media it's meant to go to. That's how I was
Hmm that's not quite right. If you look at the color specification in
chapter 7.16.1 of
the FO:specification it links to the CCS2 reference which clearly states an
ICC
or RGB-Value

>documents, I'm not going to sweat it right now. If you get ambitious and
end
>up fully implementing colorspace output preference support in FOP, then
I'll
>gladly apply it.
I see what I can do :). But how should a user apply that he wants to use
CMYK instead
of RGB as a switch?

EOF,
 J.D.