From COFFMAN Steven <SCoff...@CBSINC.com>
Subject RE: How to use CMYK in PDF-Transformation
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:44:47 GMT
I assumed that the XSL-FO editors saw RGB/CMYK/G as a preference for the
renderer based on what print media it's meant to go to. That's how I was
going to do it in FOP. If you or the print guys can manually fix the
documents, I'm not going to sweat it right now. If you get ambitious and end
up fully implementing colorspace output preference support in FOP, then I'll
gladly apply it.
-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Joachim Diepstraten / media access
[mailto:Joachim.Diepstraten@media-access.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 11:33 AM
To: 'fop-dev@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: How to use CMYK in PDF-Transformation

Hi Steven!

Thanks for your fast answer

>Short answer: No, it's not possible.

Hmm I thought so. Well I was thinking of possible solutions, patching the
PDFWriter which
as I saw implements already CMYK. And I've read through the
PDF-formatspecification (Puuh
this thing is hughe). As I only have one color red which is the problem it's
in RGB an afterward
processor could be written, already checked it out. But the thing will get
rather hughe I
estimate a final size of 8-10 Megabyte PDF. This solution would be rather
nasty

>"hooked it up" so that you could really do this. No one seemed real
>interested in it at the time, so I didn't bother. Plus, I didn't know how
Well it's interesting to see that not even the current XSL:Formating Object
specification is taking
CMYK into account. It's interesting again as PDF is used as a printmedia and
most common used colorspace
in print is still CMYK.

>accurate my RGB-to-CMYK conversion was. (the K value is open to a lot of
>interpretation).
Well I only need it for one color red which would be 0 1 1 0 k instead of 1
0 0 rg

>How urgently do you need it?
Arround end of next week. But as I said I still have the postprocessing
option open and I talked
with the printing guys and they told me they could change it afterwards if I
couldn't do it.

Your sincerly,
   J.D.